Saturday, October 15, 2011

EWOT SIX

I’m planning to have a visit in Niagara Fall tomorrow. My roommate, who comes from Buffalo, told me that it’s better off for me to go to the Canadian side of the fall. Although, in the end, I decided to go to the American side because of some vise problem, the difference between the two sides of Niagara Fall inspired me some ideas about the law of unintended consequences we’ve learned this week.

What does so many people insist that the Canadian side of Niagara Fall is much better than American side? I googled the question and a comment drew my eyes: ” Since the American side of Niagara Fall is over-developed for tour, it has lost its natural beauty which in the first place attracts thousands of tourists. On the contrary, the Canadians, insisting on the protection of the very nature of the fall, maintained a much beautiful environment for the tourists.”

Isn’t this interesting? The Americans were firstly intended to increase the tourists attracted to the fall in order to stimulate the local economy. Since such is the case, they built shinning buildings, convenient elevators, and other modern facilities near the fall. Unfortunately, these modern facilities destroyed the crude beauty of the fall, pushing the tourists to the Canadian side where people are originally intended to protect the beauty at the expense of losing tourists. As a result of the law of unintended consequences, people who want more tourists lose tourists and people who want to sacrifice the number of tourists now get more.

No comments:

Post a Comment